Monday, December 13, 2010


"August Moon, Two Harbors" - Oil on stretched Canvas - 12" x 24" © Michele Pope Melina

The scene of this painting is along the Minnesota North Shore of Lake Superior.  The idea for this painting was from a trip that I took to northern Minnesota about 3 years ago. Lake Superior has many moods and the weather can change so rapidly. At that time the sky was heavily overcast where you could hardly see the horizon. The color of the water blended into the sky, it was infinite and peaceful, like a blank canvas. One evening as I was watching a full moon rising in mid August, there was a storm brewing to the NW and the gentle warm breezes were pushing wispy clouds in and around the moon. I had decided that this would create a good marriage to the lake scene. The location of that beach at Two Harbors would be positioned correctly to view the rising moon, therefore, I added the sky as I remembered it to create mood and drama similar to the works of the master marine painter Alfred T Bricher.

3 comments:

  1. This is a very nice beginning to your blog Michele. I just love this painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for helping me to post this blog. Your help and knowledge is invaluable. Im thankful also for your compliment on this painting, Im so glad you like it!!

    ReplyDelete